Netsuke phone charm

23 February 2013 at 11:51 pm (Crafted!) (, , )

netsuke

When I was driving to the sewing workshop early in this morning, I asked myself if it was going to be worth it. I’ve been feeling excessively tired lately and could have used an extra hour of zzz’s. But I needn’t have worried. It was totally worth it and I met some really nice people, too.

We used chirimen (a type of kimono crepe fabric that’s a little stretchy) to make these netsuke. Really pretty, and although I was late, I still got to choose my favourite colours to work with.

And I learnt a new technique today: how to wrap a piece of fabric around a flat circle (like a button) in 30 seconds (maybe less). I was surprised at how crazy easy it was once I knew how it worked. I’ve got to make a video of it so I don’t forget.

My first attempt (the plum netsuke on the right) was a bit lopsided. Because the circle wasn’t perfect, one petal is larger than the others. It’s also not as plump as my 2nd netsuke (maybe it just needed a bit more batting). If I could get my hands on more chirimen, I might make more since it’s so easy.

Yay for sewing. Sewing satisfaction is the best kind there is!

Advertisements

Permalink 1 Comment

Brush holder in Pretty Paradise

13 November 2012 at 7:16 pm (Crafted!) (, )

20121113-191314.jpg
Necessity pushed me into making this on the fly, sans pattern. In my mind I had planned something a little more complicated but I’m travelling in a day’s time and don’t have the luxury of sitting down and planning. This was quick and semi-easy, just the way I like my projects.

Can’t believe it’s been more than a year since I made something. Oh! How life (and my MA!) doth interferes!

Permalink Leave a Comment

Book bag in Black and Bird-on-Branch

1 January 2011 at 2:20 am (Crafted!) ()

2010 was a great year for me. I had stumbled upon the greatest adventure of my life — teaching. And I love it not just because I get to use stationery like there’s no tomorrow. (Although I do love that I get to do that.)

And so my old book bag took a real beating. The bamboo handles were a real trooper, though. It carried the weight of a ton of books (plus huge laptop) — without groaning — for the better part of the year. Then one of them decided it’s had enough and let loose its binding. So I couldn’t carry a ton of books without it splitting open. It’s repairable, though.

But the fabric of the bag hasn’t held up as well. The lining, which is a bit paper-like, pretty much started tearing halfway through the year. The outer fabric has suffered some pretty serious damage. Huge holes appeared in the corners of the bag, where I assume the corners of my books have strained.

So, I made myself a new bag. A present for 2011. A wish for an even better year. A pretty bag for a pretty bright year ahead. This one’s quite sturdy, and should see me through many years. I hope.

Happy new year, everyone!

Permalink 1 Comment

Bottle bag in Blue and White Daisies

20 December 2010 at 1:21 am (Crafted!) ()

After a year of no crafting whatsoever, I finally got round to sewing this little one up. It was so quick to make I thought halfway that I might be making a terrible mistake somewhere. Turns out i did pretty well; didn’t have to unpick any thread! (That’s a first!)

So, revelling in my bottle bag in blue. I think I’m going to be making a couple more bags in the next few days.

Next project will be a (hopefully) sturdy book bag. Should be another quick one, as long as I don’t take forever to cut the fabrics. I never look forward to cutting….

Permalink Leave a Comment

Maiden zippered pouch: I ROCK!

26 August 2009 at 4:37 pm (Crafted!) ()

Zippered pouch

I bought zippers some months ago (okay, maybe it was a year ago), thinking I’d make some zippered things — not caring, of course, that I didn’t have a zipper foot for my sewing machine.

Well, I finally bought a zipper foot (found it by chance at the local supermarket!).

My very first attempt at making something zippered had to be tutorial-led, so I decided on a zippered pouch, which seemed like a good maiden zipper project. I didn’t even have to measure anything. I just cut the fabrics to the size of the zipper, and thought, “This is going to be super easy.”

Super easy, my foot.

I had to use my seam ripper no less than 6 times, and that was just for the very first step of the process.

Forty-five minutes later (huff & puff), it was finished. I must say I’m pretty pleased with the results.

So now my whiteboard markers, scissors, and other teacherly paraphernalia, which have been banging around the bottom of my bag for the past 2 months, have a home.

Hooray! (Double hooray for this being my first sewing project in MONTHS!)

Permalink Leave a Comment

Next page »